Let me start off by mentioning that I am not a food blogger. These photos are far from "professional" looking but I just had to share this yummy recipe! I was going through my fridge the other day and realized that I had an abnormal amount of apples in there. My son is a huge apple fan but he'd have to eat one every 10 minutes, for 5 days, just to make a dent in our apple collection. Yeah, that's an over exaggeration. But really, we had too many. I tried to think of recipes that contained a lot of apples and 'apple crisp' was one of the first things that came to my mind. I dug through some old recipe books and found a crock-pot version of this fantastic dessert. Perfect. I like to try substitute a few things in recipes to make them a little bit healthier. So I will post the original recipe below along with some healthy options for substitutes. Hope you enjoy this delicious Fall treat!
- 5-6 cups of cut up apples (I like to use The Honest Company's fruit cleaner to make sure my apples are squeaky clean. It's amazing. Try it! Found here)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar (I normally would've substituted this for Stevia. But for the sake of the recipe I stuck with the sugar)
- 3/4 Flour (I like to bake with a nut flour, such as almond. But again, for the sake of this being my first time making it, I stuck to the original. But I think the almond flour would have given it an awesome flavor)
- 2 tbs of Apple Pie Spice (I didn't have any on hand, so I just eyeball mixed cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger together. The mixture should mainly be cinnamon.)
- 1 tbs of Apple Butter
- 1 tbs Corn Starch
- 4 1/2 tbs of butter (I used 2 tbs of butter and 2 1/2 tbs of coconut oil)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- dash of salt (skipped)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (skipped but only because I didn't have any :) )
- Top with ice cream
- Place chopped up apples at the bottom of the slow cooker. Mix your lemon juice and apple butter together to pour over top of the apples. Mix until the apples are covered. Mix 1 tbs Apple Pie spice, corn starch and white sugar (or Stevia) together. Pour over apples and stir to coat. (optional: sprinkle walnuts in and mix well)
- In another bowl-mix flour, brown sugar and the other tbs of Apple Pie Spice. Soften butter (or coconut oil) to add to the mixture, mix until it's crumbly or a sand like texture. Sprinkle over the top of the apples until covered.
- Set crock pot to low, cover and cook for about 4 hours or until apples are soft.
- Top with ice cream
(not all items pictured)
(I wrote down this recipe some time last year. I have no idea where it comes from but I wish I knew so I could thank them!)
Thanks for following!